Sunday, October 11, 2009

Just another manic Monday

What a great weekend we had! I'm so sad it's over. It really almost makes me want to cry knowing I've got to take the kids to school/daycare tomorrow and go in to work. But, that's the life of a family with two working parents. Someday, I always say, someday our school loans will be paid back, and I'll be able to stay at home at least part of the week with the girls. Someday isn't going to be for a while, I'm afraid.

When Monday comes around now, I just dread taking Sophie to the sitter. Not because I'm anxious about her being there, but I totally miss my children. And I certainly feel like I miss out on all the things she does each day--the sounds she makes, her smiles, possibly her first time crawling or saying her first word. It makes me sad even writing about it!

I just thank God that we've got Sophie in great care while we are away and I know Avery is right at home at her school. That is what I'm thankful for even if it's hard to acknowledge the fact that I'm not with them. That someone else is the parent for the day while I'm away.

Sophie's sitter always tells me how wonderful and how good Sophie is for her. All the kids call her "Grandma" and they really seem to genuinely love her. She always leaves Sophie with a hug and kiss before we go home for the day and when I arrive, and I so appreciate the fact that, even if I'm gone, she's got a gentle, kind, compassionate soul loving and caring for her. I know Jesus took care of that for us by allowing us to find her. I only wish there were more like her out there. It was just awful trying to find good care for her and I was struggling to keep it together by the end of it all.

However, with the economy in the shape it's in, I just continue to tell myself that I need to be grateful that I still have a job, as our company continues to lay employees off. Both John and I go to bed not really knowing what tomorrow brings for us all. I suppose that isn't different than any other day, but we truly are a lot more appreciative of our jobs and how they allow us to provide for our family, in some ways, and give them what they need, provide them with a present and future educations, medical insurance, etc.

On a lighter note, we truly had a wonderful weekend. The girls and I went to Earl May for their fall festival like we do every year and Avery ate two bags of popcorn, cotton candy, got her face and arms painted a few times over, looked at all the animals, did the maze and played with some other kids, too. Sophie mostly slept (which I was thankful for because I felt like we were there forever! I think we were there for almost three hours!). Mom, dad, Griff and I played some games together this afternoon for about an hour--Dad, your Taboo skills are improving! John got a great amount done on his projects around the house (new bathroom downstairs, new windows, doors, etc.). In fact, he's outside now doing something--sounds like he's sawing something--and will probably be working for a while. He did take a break and watch the Iowa game last night. I fell asleep before I saw it turnaround for the Hawks and just assumed they lost until he told me this morning that they won! YAH Hawks! And I saw him pour himself a nice cold beer into our frosty mug. He continues to think I may someday like the taste of beer and buys all different kinds for me to try. Well, really because he wants to drink them, but when he gets home and uncaps the bottle, I'm the first one he wants to take a sip! "Try this one! You'll really like it! It almost tastes like...fruity or something"! Umm, you mean it tastes like a fruity skunk? Anyway, I'm glad he can enjoy it once in a while. As for me, I'll pass and drink some Coke or something. I made some chili and he ate that with his beer.

He looked right at home in his chair, drinking a beer and eating chili. I think this is the epitome of my husband and when I think of him, I think of comfort and home. I love him for that. After a bad day, he'll give me a bear hug and try to make me taste his beer-I'll laugh and he'll laugh and then we'll forget the long day at work and get back to enjoying what really matters--family and these wondrous, precious, and very few hours we have together before another week starts.