Sunday, October 11, 2009

Sophie and Avery

Forgot to tell you about what is happening in Sophie's life. She is just returning to her normal self, finally, after being sick for what feels like almost a month. I think it has been almost a month. I just feel so bad for her poor little nose with all those sticky ickies in there. Not being able to just blow them out would be awful. But, she is feeling a lot better and this weekend she spent most of the time giggling, smiling, playing, just being silly.

She has been sitting up all by herself, though when I play peek-a-boo with her, she gets so excited, she tips over. It is so sweet. She so longs to do what her big sister does and just looks at her and laughs and smiles at everything she does. Avery will want to hold her a few times throughout the day and Sophie just reaches for me, I think only because she wants to be able to see what her sister is doing at all times. I just can't wait until they can play together, though I know Sophie will do anything her sister tells her to do, as Avery is pretty good at being little Miss Bossy. I try to call it "assertive" or "leadership", but if I were to really be blunt and honest, it is plain old bossy. It will pass, I know.

Sophie continues to make all sorts of noises and sounds. When she gets hungry, she puts her hands up out to the side of her head and wiggles her fingers while rotating them from side to side. It is hilarious! Until she gets a bite, she will--ooo, ooo, ooo. Then as soon as we get it to her mouth, she'll give a breathy mmmm. So funny.

She's been loving Uncle Griffy. Smiles at him constantly. He has always been great with kids and they seem to love him for his willingness to play any game, be any animal, basically follow any rule they make up and continue to play any game with an undying amount of patience. Thank you, Griff!

Peek-a-boo is becoming a great game for Sophie. She loves the surprise, like most babies do, and peeks at the spot where I was last seen until I come up and say "boo!" She just opens her mouth wide and is so surprised only a short laugh comes out.

She's not crawling yet, but I think here in the next month or so we'll be close. She is still most comfortable with mom--sitting on her lap or just being in the vicinity usually is good, too. If she is in her jumper and doing great playing, I'll try to sneak away without allowing her to notice. If she sees me, she begins to cry.

Sleeping is finally getting better for everyone. She slept through the night the last couple of nights and I only heard her cough or make noise a couple of times. Sometimes she is under the covers and upside down when I go get her and I need to take a before and after picture. I don't know how she does it.

Avery has been doing great at school and has her first prayer service coming up. She stood at the pew after church today so she could practice while Sophie napped. It was dark and everyone had left, so she felt secure enough to do it in front of me, though even that is hard for her. She says "We bring down the cross to help remind us how important Jesus is in our families." Great one liner, I'd have to say.

After we went through it the first time, I asked her if she knew what that meant. She said she forgot. I am so happy with her school, but one frustration is that there is so much going through the motions without much explanation of why. Why does the symbol of a cross remind us of Jesus? She didn't know. Why is God our Ruler? She didn't know. So, this is something that, as parents, we try to help her understand. And though we have talked and talked about it throughout her life, I know it's still hard for her to understand. As a child (and human), we base everything we know on our senses--what we see, hear, smell, taste and touch. Faith isn't something so easily understood. But, I think John and I are doing our very best to help her understand that Jesus is with us everyday, guiding us and helping us to love each other and live life how He wants us to live it. That He died for us, so that we could be together as a family right now, in this very moment. And even though I share that with what seems like amazing faith, I'm always praying that He'll help to make me a stronger Christian, to help strengthen my faith in him and trust that He continues to have plans for me in this life. But, I think He's doing some of that by allowing me to share with my children, His amazing grace. How cool is that?!

4 comments:

Jerod, Leah, Cayla, Eliana, and Zoey said...

We love you guys!!!

Jeff and Linds said...

LOVE the pictures of Avery & Sophie. SOOOOOOOOO CUTE!

codi said...

Oh, Sophie is getting so big and I'm not there to see any of it:( She is so darn cute! How fun to catch up on your life this way...thanks for posting stuff for us all to read. I can't wait to see you all over the holidays! Love you guys!

Jerod, Leah, Cayla, Eliana, and Zoey said...

How about some more pictures of your adorable family???? Please??