Wednesday, March 3, 2010

There's no place like home...

February just blew by...and we're into March already. Woke up this morning at 5:30 and realized that the sun must have been just coming up as it was bright even with the shades pulled shut! YAH! And the snow is melting. Double YAH!

I think that seeing and feeling the warm sun has definitely made the week easier for all of us! John has been working hard at completely demolishing and reconstructing our kitchen. New ceiling, new sink, new countertops, etc. Mom and dad have graciously let the girls and I stay with them, let's see, it will have been exactly two weeks today! So, I think our welcome is beginning to wear out...

But it's just been so nice staying at mom and dad's! I must say I LOVE the space and the carpet! Sophie has been able to crawl, tumble, crash, etc. without much pain. Our hardwood floors are no good for that. And she loves to explore each room, putting all the cool stuff she can't have right in her mouth. It's been fun. And of course, I love my family! Hanging out with them after work has been a blast. Even though I always end up heading to bed early, we've gotten in a few card games, a couple of shows on the tele. It has been so wonderful. They've been so helpful in the mornings with the girls and although I know this is temporary, I've started to feel like we've infested their home with toys and clothes and suitcases, barrettes, bottles, pacifiers, and I must say...it's been easy for me! And again, the girls love being with Grandma and Grandpa. Maybe we could stay a little longer...

I must say, though, sleeping with Avery is no picnic! She tosses and turns, snores loudly, always wants to put a leg on me. UGH. I am ready to sleep in my own bed. And the girls haven't seen John more than a couple of times since we left home. We were driving home from school Monday and Avery was being awful quiet in the back. I looked in the rear-view mirror and she was quietly crying. I thought something must have really been wrong, but when I asked her, she just said she missed her daddy. So sweet.

Sophie is at a new day care and it's been a good change for all of us, mostly Sophie I think. Although her old provider cared very much for her and took good care of her, she held her while she napped, while she took care of the other kids, basically 80% of the day making it sooo tough for her to play on her own at home, thus making it difficult for John and I, too. The first couple of days were really tough, but this last week she's become more curious, more content, and is just about ready to walk! I think she was being held so much, it was even affecting her progression into walking. I think she is just a happier girl and I'm happy for that.

Sophie is getting taller by the month, but not gaining much weight although we all know she could eat any other kid under the table. She is still just under 19 lbs. I believe Avery weighed that at six months or something?! So, I found myself calling her "peanut". Then it morphed into "peanut butter" after John and I combined her nicknames (he always calls her "butter bean"). Her head is in the 21st percentile on the scale for infants her age (compared to the average size of heads of infants her age). Her weight is 33% and height is 85%. Our friends have a little boy whose head is so large and round--in the 95% range. It's so funny when they play together because Sophie's head truly looks like a tiny peanut compared to his head. I remember Avery having rolls of chubbiness on her thighs and arms. Sophie has none. Amazing how different two children can be! But, I look at Avery now and she is so tall and slender with this amazingly long torso. She'll grow up to be just like her dad in that way. I'm sure hoping Sophie beats my 5' 3" frame! I've broken many a drinking glass trying to reach to top shelf on my tippy toes. But, John hits his head on a lot of stuff, so I guess I don't know what's better...tall or short? Either way, she'll always be our little peanut.

Signing off now! Maybe next time I write, it will be from home after making dinner in our new kitchen!

Shout out to my sis, Codi! HAPPY BIRTHDAY SISTER!

2 comments:

Jerod, Leah, Cayla, Eliana, and Zoey said...

We miss you guys!! So hard to get away... maybe over spring break we can come visit you. And see the changes to the house--exciting!

Thanks for posting the update! Peanut butter! You do a great job!

Your bro,
Jer

codi said...

Love the update! I had to laugh at your comments on Sophie's head, because my boys were always at the 95th percentile,and the doctors were almost concerned until I would say, "Don't worry. Their dad can't find many hats to fit his head". Then we thought Josie had a small head at the75th percentile:) Hilarious! Thanks for the birthday wishes. Love you!