Friday, April 2, 2010

Top o' the morning!

Well, what a nice Friday it has been thus far. John and I both have the day off--just one of the many benefits of working at the same company--the girls, Sophie too, slept in until 8:30. Which means I should have been sleeping but I was a nervous wreck because I was worried that something was wrong! I checked on them both and of course, they were fine. But, still, this is NOT normal. After they woke up, we ate breakfast and I dropped Avery off at Y camp and went to work out (first day in ages). Feel great! I definitely could get used to an extra day off every weekend!

We've been preparing for Easter. At school, Avery's learned about Jesus' resurrection. I have to tell you this because it is really funny, but at the time, I was definitely holding back my laughs with a stern face (though Grandpa Pat wasn't all that helpful). Avery and I went to mom and dad's for a couple of hours after school on Wednesday night. She wanted to play some ball, so she got out the plastic bat and balls. I was pitching to her and I could hear her saying "resurrection" randomly. Didn't think to ask what for, but then I heard her toot and say "RESURRECTION" loudly. I asked her to say "excuse me" instead and then asked her why she said resurrection after she tooted. She started to laugh a bit and said it was a resurrection of her gas. OH MAN! I was laughing so hard inside, and I am sure I let out a little "hmph" at the time. I mean, who thinks of that?! So, as you can see, she DOES in fact know what the word "resurrection" means. I guess that is good. Okay, so other than that we truly have been preparing for Easter. She cut out little pieces of paper with a donkey, cup, praying hands and put some real coins, a nail, and other little tid bits inside plastic eggs and went through the Easter story with me. It is so cool to see her faith grow even at five years old. At five, I know I wasn't think about Easter in that way. I was thinking CANDY!

Sophie is taking a few steps here and there and I was hoping she would be able to walk by now on her own comfortably so she could find the eggs on Sunday morning during the hunt. But, she is just too comfortable being held. She still loves to be rocked to bed and I am so thankful for the rocker that John bought me. I don't know how we'd get her to sleep otherwise. Last night she was not as tired as usual and I was shh shhing her and she would just laugh at the noise I made. Then I started saying the words she sort of mimics and she would say them right back to me - UH OH! U-o. TRACTOR. Tra-tr. Daddy. Thaa-thoo. It was so sweet and I can't help but continue the game just out of selfishness! She is still just 19 lbs. She goes to the Doctor today for her 12 month well-baby check. I am hoping no shots, but I can't seem to remember. Then I think that John and the girls are heading down to DeWitt to stay with Steve and Mary for the night. I bought tickets to the ISU fashion show (I go every year-I LOVE it) and asked Griff to go with me a few months back. So we're heading to that tomorrow and I can't believe I'll be all by myself for an entire day and night!

Dad wants to go to "Clash of the Titans", and he's asked if I'll be his date. I'm excited to go. Movies with dad are great as we both love going to the theater and eating the popcorn - basically the entire experience. We've gone to really, every big movie together since I can remember. "The Little Mermaid", "Beauty and the Beast" and "The Lion King" when I was younger. Then "The Gladiator". Then all the movies in the "Lord of the Rings" series. Recently "Avatar" and now "Clash of the Titans". It's amazing that we can both enjoy the same genre of movies and have something to talk about later. If anyone knows my dad, he loves movies!

Oh YEAH! The kitchen and updates to the house are GREAT! The boys-my husband, especially-worked really hard and it looks contemporary and up-to-date. A wonderful improvement to our humble abode!

Work has been busy. We've got a new lab going up. A huge investment for the company and our community. As part of my job in marketing communications, I am marketing the investment and our grand opening is May 11. We have customers from all over the world coming to take a tour of it. What a chaotic few months it has been. And coincidentally, John and I will be coming back from vacation the 11th (planned before it was scheduled - honestly), so I'll be gone that day. Although I'll be excited to hear how the outcome is, I am sort of thankful that I'll be on the beach in Florida and not in my office.

I am heading to San Antonio in September for a week to help run an event. I am enthusiastic about this opportunity as well, though it will be the first time I'll be gone from the girls for more than a few days. Our vacation in May is just a few days. But an entire week is a long time. I'll be missing my husband and our girls badly. And as all parents know, phone calls can't take place of smelling the outdoors-mixed-with-cereal scent in your kids' hair and DEFINITELY can't replace a big bear hug and kiss from them before bed, either!

HAPPY EASTER BLESSING EVERYONE!

No comments: